Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Break Up - Ways to Stop Obsessing About Your Ex-Girlfriend or Ex-Boyfriend

You’ve been through a relationship breakup, and now you can’t control your obsessive thoughts about your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend! This breakup advice includes practical ways to stop obsessing about a lost love, based on a question from a reader.  
Here’s what he said on my How to Let Go of Someone You Love article:
“I still seem to be obsessing about my ex. She crowds into my thoughts a dozen times a day. I’m trying my best to forget about her, but, despite what I’ve read and the advice I’ve gotten, I CAN’T GET HER OUT OF MY HEAD! I feel like I’m going through my days as half a person, with nothing ahead of me but regrets about what might have been….how do I stop my thoughts?”
Obsessing about your ex can be a normal part of breaking up – but if those thoughts are overpowering or overwhelming, then you need to find a way to take control. Below are six ways to stop obsessing about your ex. For more breakup advice, read Obsessive Love: When It Hurts Too Much to Let Go.
Ways to Stop Obsessing About Your Ex-Girlfriend or Ex-Boyfriend
Different people will find different ways to control obsessive thoughts effective…and the only way to learn what works for you is to try the one that most resonates with you first. If that doesn’t work after a couple of weeks, then try another technique.
Remember the dog-and-vomit analogy. I read There Is a Season by Patrick Lane, about his journey through addiction and recovery. He said thinking about terrible things in the past is like a dog returning to his own vomit (or something to that effect). I love this analogy, and use it when I start berating myself for something I regret doing. Instead of indulging in self-flagellation, I tell myself that I’m not a dog and I refuse to go back to my own vomit…and I then think “Eeewwww…” and I move on! This is a very practical, effective way to stop obsessing about a breakup. It can also work for addictive relationships.




Visit her site for more great advice and self help suggestions.

[Lauriepawlikkienlen.jpg]

1 comment:

  1. Wow when I started reading I thought "addictive relationship" and sure enough. Love the dog vomit analogy. I'd never heard that one! Thanks for sharing it. But I do think sometimes there is a real reason the person keeps returning to someone. They may really have unfinished business there. The tough part is knowing when that is the case and when they really should just move on.

    We have a piece about relationship addiction on our site. You might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this?

== == ==

Works to block mobile card readers and ID scanners